Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Vine and the Branches [May 6, 2012]


The Sunday Gospel [May 6, 2012]

John 15:1-8

1“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine grower. 2He takes away every branch in me that does not bear fruit, and everyone that does he prunes so that it bears more fruit. 3You are already pruned because of the word that I spoke to you. 4Remain in me, as I remain in you. Just as a branch cannot bear fruit on its own unless it remains on the vine, so neither can you unless you remain in me. 5I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever remains in me and I in him will bear much fruit, because without me you can do nothing. 6Anyone who does not remain in me will be thrown out like a branch and wither; people will gather them and throw them into a fire and they will be burned. 7If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you. 8By this is my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples.

Reflection

“I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever remains in me and I in him will bear much fruit, because without me you can do nothing.” ~ Jesus in v. 5

How comforting it is to know that we do not walk alone through this life! No matter how isolated or weak we may feel, the truth is that Jesus is with us and will never abandon us. With Jesus as “the vine,” we can be assured that we will receive everything we need to nourish and sustain us. With the Father as the “vine grower,” all the circumstances of our lives – both pleasant and difficult – become his instruments as he prunes us and molds us into his image.

As an example of the effect that abiding in Christ can have, consider the early church as St. Luke describes it in today’s first reading. Where did Saul receive the courage not only to forego his former persecution of the church but to become one of its foremost apostles? His personal encounter with Jesus on the road to Damascus changed him radically, but there were still layers of pride, prejudice, and fear that God had to strip away so that he could become more and more effective. More than likely, this pruning process was difficult, but Saul embraced it because the treasure of intimacy with Christ was so precious to him.

Think also of the disciples in Jerusalem when Saul attempted to join them. How did they overcome their fear and mistrust of their one-time persecutor? Again, they let the Lord lead them, guide them, and prune them where necessary. Certainly this was not an easy thing to do, but they came to trust that God could bring life from death, and so they were able to take the risk.

God is deeply committed to us, just as he was to those first believers. If we try our best to stay connected with him during our days, he will prune us as well. It won’t always be enjoyable, but it will be fruitful! Our lives will never be the same; they will keep getting better and better.

Source: The Reflection is from Bro. Abel Navarro (you can visit his blog at http://myblogabelnavarroabel.blogspot.com/).

No comments:

Post a Comment