Sunday, May 13, 2012

Vine and the Branches [May 13, 2012]

The Sunday Gospel [May 13, 2012]

John 15:9-17

9As the Father loves me, so I also love you. Remain in my love. 10If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. 11“I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and your joy may be complete. 12This is my commandment: love one another as I love you. 13No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.14You are my friends if you do what I command you.15I no longer call you slaves, because a slave does not know what his master is doing. I have called you friends, because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father. 16It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you.17This I command you: love one another.

Reflection

[Jesus said,] “This I command you: love one another.” ~ v. 17

The book, “D-Day with the Screaming Eagles,” details the courage of the paratroopers who launched the invasion of Europe on D-Day, June 6, 1944. They gave their lives that their comrades might land safely. In one company alone, 219 jumped and only 73 survived.

These brave men lived out the meaning of Jesus’ words in today’s gospel. They died that that their friends might live. “No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” (verse 13)

The sacrifice of the paratroopers and Jesus’ words in today’s reading invite me to inventory my own spirit of sacrifice – if not to the point of sacrificing my life, at least to the point of sacrificing my comfort and my time?

Reflection Credits: Fr. Mark, Link, SJ, Sunday Homilies

Source: The Reflection is from Bro. Abel Navarro (you can visit his blog at http://myblogabelnavarroabel.blogspot.com/).

No comments:

Post a Comment