Monday, January 14, 2013

Baptism of the Lord [January 13, 2013]


The Sunday Gospel [January 13, 2013]

Luke 3:15-16, 21-22

15Now the people were filled with expectation, and all were asking in their hearts whether John might be the Messiah. 16John answered them all, saying, “I am baptizing you with water, but one mightier than I is coming. I am not worthy to loosen the thongs of his sandals. He will baptize you with the holy Spirit and fire.

21After all the people had been baptized and Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, heaven was opened 22and the holy Spirit descended upon him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased."

Reflection

“You are my beloved Son; with you, I am well pleased.”

Last year, before the London summer Olympics, the 1981 film Chariots of Fire was released for the big screen. It’s a stirring true story about British runners at the 1924 Olympics – one of them the Scottish sprinter Eric Liddell. The movie accurately depicts Liddell as a devout Christian. And though it shows him explaining his athletic motivation in words he probably never spoke – “When I run, I feel his pleasure” – the line is a window into how Liddell related to God in real life.

When I run I feel his pleasure. Think about that statement for a minute. Are there times when you experience God’s delight in you? How would fill in this blank? “I feel God’s pleasure when I _______________.”

Do you rest secure in the knowledge that your Father loves and affirms you? Or do you feel overlooked or rejected by a God who finds you wanting? If you oscillate between these two poles, as many of us do, you’ll find an important message in Jesus’ baptism.

Why do you think, did the sinless Son of God embrace a baptism of repentance? One simple answer is this: so that each of us could hear our Father say, “You are my beloved child. With you, I am well pleased”! This isn’t wishful thinking. When you were baptized, you were united to Jesus and drawn into his relationship with the Father. That means that as you seek it out, you really can experience the Father’s love for you!

Do you believe that God rejoices in you? If you are living in that reality, ask him for whatever you need to restore that baptismal flow of love – insight, healing, a spirit of repentance. Then not only when you’re running, praying, or working, but at all times, you can rejoice in your identity as a beloved child who makes your Father smile.

Prayer Response

Jesus, with a thankful heart, I stand with you in the Jordan today. Let nothing separate me from you. Father, show me your love.

Reflection Credits: the WORD among us

Source: The Reflection is from Bro. Abel Navarro (you can visit his blog at http://myblogabelnavarroabel.blogspot.com/).

No comments:

Post a Comment